The Indiana Hospital for the Insane (later renamed Central State Hospital) opened in November, 1848. By 1928, physicians cared for nearly 3,000 patients. It grew until it encompassed a pathological department, a "sick" hospital for the treatment of physical ailments, a farm colony where patients engaged in "occupational therapy", a chapel, an amusement hall complete with an auditorium, billiards, and bowling alleys, a bakery, a fire house, a cannery manned by patients, and idyllic gardens and fountains (Wiki page).
This gallery is empty.